Gaddafi's scorched earth: Libya's skies turn black as desperate dictator blows up oil pipes and turns his tanks on civilians
- U.S. fears that both sides are locked in a bloody stand-off
- The West wants to 'divide country and take oil', dictator claims
- Thirteen-and-a-half hour barrage of bombs on Zawiya
- Snipers given orders to 'shoot anything that moves'
- 'We want the international community to support a no-fly zone', says Clinton
- BBC news team rounded up and beaten near Zawiya
Italian Interior Minister says US military action in Libya would unleash Third World War
Roberto Maroni, Italy's Minister of Interior, said that "military intervention in Libya would mean a Third World War," apparently alluding to reports of posturing by the the United States, Great Britain, and NATO. Interviewed by the La Padania newspaper, Maroni spoke in the March 8 report on policy towards the simmering rebellions in the Maghreb region, including Libya and Tunisia. Said the minister, "A strong military action, in particular on the part of the US, would do nothing more than coalesce the other Arab states and the consequences would be devastating."